Wednesday, July 15, 2015

home sweet home

well.. i feel inspired to start caring more about the world I'm living in. Why does this sound so harsh to say?? 
i suppose I'm just a sheep in the heard of carelessness and chemical waste when it comes to this sort of thing and having a legacy naping in the next room really does make the future of our earth, the wellbeing of his generation at the forefront of my mind..

its not that i have been carelessly littering and watering my lawn for days but i have been neglegent about my recycling duties, the chemicals i use to clean my home (mostly cause those chemicals are so budget friendly) and obviously there is so many more little things i can change and teach my little about preserving our resources and being environmentally friendly and to top that- a conscious consumer.

so here i am finding myself at a bend in the road - a road trip with jessica alba & al gore.

it seems daunting to do a total overhaul and although i have ambitious plans about being that old 'earthy' chick with long white hair, growing a sustainable garden, smelling sweet like lavender and not wearing shoes- i suppose that story starts here, one change at a time. i already have birkenstocks. its a start.



i grow herbs, i make my detergents and i know how beneficial oils are but perhaps its time to get a compost bin, make more of an effort to recycle (almost) everything and make educated and slightly more expensive yet healthier product purchases. I just might make a leap from disposable diapers (we only use them in the evening anyway) and read ingredients in my floor cleaner.

i have innocently or not so innocently been nieve to my personal impact on the environment- but as a dear (and environmentally conscious friend) mentioned- it starts with one person, much like many of the amazing stories of transformation- it often begins with one person and one idea. I was faulty in believing i can't change anything- "if Vegas doesn't recycle- there is no hope for the rest of us.."
Shame on me, small things do add up and i am hopeful i can make a difference and of course wanting to impose these principles to the next generation- it is their world, my sons world after all ...

funny-Isn't that just a mothers way- we bend over backwards and stride to do the right thing all in the name of our children. we do things for them that we wouldn't dream of doing for ourselves- perhaps thats love. 
When the future of my child's deteriorating earth is sitting before me looking messy, chaotic and lacking its environmental resources- hurt from the years of uneducated purchases and massive consumption, my heart aches as our afflictions will be the problem of our children. It just doesn't seem fair to wait another day to make a change.. 

Earth in its glory is humbling, remarkably beautiful- its swirling scope of blues and greens accented with whispers of white, its a stunning and amazing place to call home. 
From the images of NASA and google and it seems a foreign dream, too beautiful to be called our own but we are the caretakers- blessed to be entrusted with such a gem. its a huge responsibility I'm going to take accountability on my part- i suppose i am late to the table and have a long way to go but I'm going to take my own responsibility to create a cleaner home, healthier home, make more conscious decisions and try to create a safer and cleaner piece of earth- for me and you and our children. I will do what i can in my own small way and someday, hopefully, my little and his littles will progress with the same determination and responsibility and in turn-we can make a large impact together..

We are all earth neighbours, our world does so much to divide us, but being an avid documentary watcher, i remember a piece of text i heard on the NASA documentary. I believe it was about an astronaut admiring the earth from above, he said: if everyone could just see how remarkable and fragile our planet really is, we could let it unite us and not divide us (thats a whole other bag of tricks) but in that is so much truth. 

So here lies the call to action, the commitment to making a small difference and to be healthier, wiser and more conscious. Plan of action time, i will follow up with a part 2 on greener changes and alterations... 

Stay tuned... 


No comments:

Post a Comment